Pages

Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Culture Shock is a Real Thing

This is part of what the Peace Corps had to say about culture shock before we got here, "The term culture shock was first introduced in the 1950s by Kalvero Oberg to describe the phenomena people might experience after moving to a new environment. Culture shock can be described as the feeling of disorientation experienced by a person suddenly subjected to an unfamiliar culture or way of life. Culture shock is difficult to identify. It does not appear suddenly; rather, it builds up slowly and is often a series of small events."

Three days ago, I didn't feel so good. My stomach was upset and I had a headache, so I laid down in my room. I didn't sleep, but I did spend a solid 4 hours by myself with a book and a movie, both in English. This is the first time I've had that much conscious alone time since I arrived in Armenia. The next morning, it was like I had a whole new perspective on what the next two years will be and what life is for me here. Not that I was unhappy before, but I was definitely in a kind of daze - doing only what was expected of me for every minute of every day and letting the Peace Corps schedule, my fellow trainees, and my host family make all of the decisions. I coasted through the days, and while I was enjoying them, I was also struggling to register everything that was happening.

After my solitude and English-immersed rest, I woke up genuinely happy to be where I am. Armenia is such a beautiful place with a culture that genuinely interests me. Granted, in every culture there are aspects that aren't so positive, but I am finally falling in love with some of the things here. Below is one of my favorite stories so far, but I have a lot more to share. Fair warning - this post might get a bit lengthy.

The first Sunday I was with my host family, my host parents asked if they could take Lauren (a fellow volunteer I've gotten really close with) and I to church. We were both pumped to go and got permission from Peace Corps staff. They took us to Khor Virap, an ancient church that dates back to at least the 7th century with traces of another church marking the spot as early as either the 2nd or 3rd centuries.
The service was somber and serene, with what I suspect are the best voices in Armenia singing throughout. After the service, my host father went up into the alter area, where the general public was obviously not going. He instructed Lauren and I to follow, which we did very hesitantly. Keep in mind that our language capabilities at this point were severely limited. So we followed while having the intense feeling that we were not supposed to be there. My host dad walked right up to the head priest and introduced us as his new American daughters who were volunteering in Armenia for the next two years. Then, he pulls out these two stunning hand-carved armenian cross necklaces. The priest blessed the crosses for health and wellness and then blessed us. My host father kissed the tops of both of our heads and put the necklaces on. Lauren and I were both very overwhelmed with feelings of goodwill and love. 

After the ceremony, we went to another building in the complex that was lined by two pools of candles. My host dad gave Lauren and I two candles apiece to light a prayer for people. I can't adequately describe the beauty of this tradition, so I'm going to use pictures instead.


 All around it was an incredible experience. As usual, I have so much more to tell, but not enough time. More to follow soon.

Ooni bari or, ahmen mek (Have a good day, everyone.)

Emily

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sweetie, We are in awe. We are here and we love and support you no matter what. While the language is difficult, I strongly believe that you can accomplish anything when you set yourself a task - though it may not always turn out the way you originally intended. We are here - and we support you. And we love that your family there has taken you into their hearts and home and have given you such a beautiful blessing. It is such a blessing to us that you have them. Love you!

    ReplyDelete